Frequently Asked Questions
- What is new about the Global Distinction application in 2017?
In 2017 we overhauled the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® Global Distinction application.
The Global Distinction application is available here.
- Companies are welcome to apply about well-being efforts in any country of their choosing.
- Questions (total number, focus areas, type and design) have been streamlined to minimize applicant burden.
- The overall application examines the concept of well-being holistically to include: physical health, emotional health, financial security, social connectedness, community involvement and job satisfaction.
- Do applicants for Global Distinction have to apply for or win a domestic Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® award?
No, applicants do not need to apply for and/or win a Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® award in order to apply for or to win a Global Distinction award.
- What topics does the Global Distinction application address?
This application gathers information about corporate health, wellness and well-being strategy benefits and programming.
For linguistic simplicity, we use the shorthand well-being throughout the application.
- Well-being often refers to happiness, quality of life, thriving and flourishing. Well-being can be described as the way you feel, the way you function and how you judge your life.
- Health promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health. It moves beyond a focus on individual behavior toward a wide range of social and environmental interventions.
- Is there a fee to apply for Global Distinction?
Members of the Business Group do not have to pay to apply for Global Distinction. There is a fee schedule for those companies that are not members of the National Business Group on Health®. Those fees cover the administration and management of the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® and Global Distinction programs.
- My company has wonderful health and well-being initiatives in only one country or region. Can we apply for Global Distinction?
Yes! The application can be about any country (except the U.S.). That geography should have an employee footprint sufficient to support broad-based employee well-being programs. Whereas the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® award recognizes U.S. programs exclusively, the Global Distinction award only examines wellness efforts outside the U.S.
- Can we submit materials in languages other than English?
No, all application responses must be in English. Although you may submit examples of your company's health communication materials in other languages, keep in mind that judges may not be able to read or understand the materials you provide. Please be sure to describe your non-English supplemental materials and their intended purpose in your application.
- Can I submit my application on paper and avoid using the online application system?
No, all applicants must submit their application electronically through the online system. If you have questions or concerns about doing so, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who should complete my company's Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® Global Distinction application?
Portions of the application are best completed by staff in the corporate headquarters (e.g., corporate communication). Other sections may be more appropriate for in-country or regional staff (e.g., benefit coverage).
- When will we find out if we won an award?
Companies that apply for Global Distinction will be contacted the week of July 17, 2017 about the status of their application.
- When will the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® and Global Distinction awards be distributed?
The National Business Group on Health® will hold an awards ceremony on Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 as part of its annual fall conference (Workforce Strategy 2017: Engaging for Change to be held in Austin, TX. For more information about this event, don't hesitate to be in touch!